A what? A Ludoteca!
A ludoteca is a public play center in Italy where children can go to socialize while sharing communal toys and spaces. Each ludoteca in Florence has a similar setup but, with slightly different services dedicated to age groups ranging from 0 – 12 years. The services offered in these playrooms are free (except for certain organized activities), just show your id and sign your child up.
Indoor Play Time
We try to take Julienne outside on a daily basis, but on bad weather days, a trip to a local ludoteca is perfect for some indoor play time. Julienne can socialize with other children while entertaining herself with an array of new toys.
Find your Favorite
We are closer to the Ludoteca L’Acchiappasogni on Via del Paradiso, 5 (next to the Coop in Gavinana) but, the place doesn’t feel as cozy with their bright white walls and high windows. We prefer the Ludoteca La Carrozza di Hans on Via Canova, 170b – they have six different play rooms filled with board games, wooden toys, play kitchens and an indoor gym area for the active kids. We still need to check out some of the other ones in town, I heard Nidiaci has some arts & craft activities this fall!
Find a ludoteca in Florence
[wptabs type=”accordion” effect=”fade” mode=”horizontal”] [wptabtitle] Quartiere 1: Centro Storico [/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
- 1. Spazio Infanzia Nidiaci
- A space for parents and children, which offers the first opportunity to meet experts in the field of childhood, and young people the opportunity to socialize with people from other countries, in addition to a video library devoted to them, the organization of events and shows and the opportunity to celebrate birthdays.
- Age: 0-11 years
- Opening Hours: Monday – Friday from 16:00 to 18:30,
- Saturday from 10:30 to 12:30
- Via della Chiesa, 48
- 055 291560
- 2. Marcondirondero
- Opening Hours: Monday – Friday from 16:00 to 19:00
- Via della Carra, 2
- 055 334046
- 3. Gianburrasca
- The recreation center organizes workshops of painting and modeling and offers the opportunity to celebrate birthdays. Children can play freely or be followed by educators.
- Age: 0-12 years
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 16:00 to 18:30
- Saturday from 15:00 to 18:30
- Via Palazzuolo, 35
- 055 210092
- 1. La Tana Dell’Orso
- The services offered are: rental of group games; loan children’s books, loan books of pedagogy for adults; corner “soft” for children from 0 to 12 months, free play area, numerous parties and activities for young and older children.
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 18:45
- Saturday from 9:00 to 13:00
- Viale De Amicis, 21
- 055 2767452
- 1. Il Castoro
- Services offered: free play area, children’s library, organized workshops, an art room for children, organized parties and activities.
- Age: 5 months to 11 years
- Opening Hours: Monday – Friday from 16:00 to 19:00, Tuesday – Thursday from 10:00 to 12:00, Saturday from 10:00 to 12:30
- Piazza Artusi, 23
- 055 6810517
- 1. La Fattoria dei Ragazzi
- A toy library located in a real house, with adjoining farmland in which youngsters can learn, directly by the elderly former farmers who carry out the activities of volunteers, what nature is able to offer. The boys will be able to design and plant a garden, follow the lives of animals and take care of them, as well as many other activities aimed at teaching them the values of ecology.
- Age: 5 to 11 years
- Opening Hours: Monday – Friday from 16:30 to 19:00
- Via dei Bassi, 12
- 055 733136
- 2. La Carrozza di Hans
- The recreation center organizes many meetings for parents and prospective parents.
- Age: 0-14 years
- Opening Hours: Monday 14:00 to 19:00, Tuesday to Friday 9:00 to 13:00, 14:00 19:00, Saturday 9:00 to 13:00
- Via Canova, 170 b
- 055 7877734
- 3. La Mongolfiera
- From 0 to 3 years, the play center, through the appropriate space-meeting, a chance to socialize children who did not attend the nursery and their parents.
Children and young people from 3 to 11 years old can perform various group activities, such as creative workshops and events dedicated to the telling of fairy tales and stories.
- Age: 0 to 11 years, accompanied by an adult
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 16:00 to 19:00
- Via dell’Anconella, 3
- 055 2207455
- 4. L’Albero di Alice
- This ludoteca is divided into two areas, one for children up to six years, the other for children up to fourteen years of age.
The play center offers a space to play freely, numerous laboratories creative, various collective activities and the possibility of organizing birthday parties.
- Age: 0 to 14 years
- Opening Hours: winter (October to May) Monday to Friday 16:00 to 19:00, summer (June-September) from Monday to Friday 16:30-19: 30
- Via del Cavallaccio, 10
- 055 780216
- 1. La Prua
- Amenities: Educational Leisure Centre (ground floor of the building called “Le Navi”):
– library/video area for children with a subdivision for two age groups: 3 – 6 years and 7-10 years.
– spaces: soft corner, library, multimedia room, laboratory area.
– hands-on workshops (painting, decoration, manipulation, etc..)
– ways of reading and dramatization of stories
– use and recycling of materials and construction of games
– organized parties and events for the children.
- Age: 0 to 10 years
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday from 16:30 to 19:30
- Via della Sala, 2/1
- 055 315173
- 2. Il Castello dei Balocchi
- The game areas broken down by age, loan of toys and books, video library, art workshops, creative activities with the use of various techniques (manipulation, painting, collage and more).
- Age: 0 to 14 years
- Opening Hours: From June 21st – September 10th // Monday to Friday 9:30 to 12:30. From August 16 – 31 closed for summer holidays.
- Via del Pontormo, 92
- 055 454395
[wptabtitle] Quartiere 2: Campo di Marte [/wptabtitle]
[wptabtitle] Quartiere 3: Gavinana – Galluzzo
[wptabtitle] Quartiere 4: Isolotto – Legnaia
[wptabtitle] Quartiere 5: Rifredi
Have you been to a ludoteca in Florence? Leave a comment and let me know which one your little one prefers!