After only five months of heavy renovation, the first floor of the Mercato Centrale Firenze is about to open it’s doors. The total investment amounted to more than 5 million Euros and will, when fully implemented create over a 170 jobs. Yeah jobs!
Anteprima – Sneak Preview
Here is a sneak preview of what you will find in the newly renovated 1° floor of the San Lorenzo Mercato Centrale Firenze.
This multifunctional space of over 3,000 square meters not only offers top quality food and wine, but offers a space for cooking classes, a bookstore and even a bank, just to name a few! I have listed out everything you will find inside the new Mercato Centrale Florence.
Il Mercato Centrale: The Main Botteghe (Shops)
- Vino (Wine): L’Enoteca del Chianti Classico
- Mozzarella di Bufala: La Mozzarella di Bufala Campana
- I Formaggi (Cheese): Casa del Parmigiano di Franco Parola
- La Pasta Fresca (Fresh Pasta): Raimondo Mendolia
- Il Pane e La Pasticceria (Bread & Pastries): David Bedu, Silvia del Priore, Giovanna Iorio, Domenico Montano – PANK La Bulangeria
- Il Cioccolato e Il Gelato (Chocolate & Gelato): The Chocolate Passion Project di Cristian Beduschi
- Il Pesce Fresco (Fresh Fish, Molluscs & Sea Shellfish): Pescheria Rosellini
- La Carne e I Salumi (Meat from Italian Poultry/Cattle & Cured Meats from Cinta Senese Pork): Azienda agricola Savigni di Nicolò Savigni
- Il Fritto e Le Polpette (Battered/Fried Delicacies, Coccoli & Meatballs): Marco Rosi e Paolo Soderi
- La Frutta e Le Verdure (Fruit, Vegetables, Dried Fruit & Plant/Vegetable Concoctions): Filippo Viana, Alessandra Camèra, Mariangela Potenza, Edgar Barreto
- Il Lampredotto (Lampredotto Sandwiches): Lorenzo Nigro
- I Tramezzini (Sandwiches with homemade bread, Salad, Single Course Dishes): Amblè di Fabrizio Bodini, Barbara Fontani, Lorenzo Nardi
- Pizze (3 Delicious Pizza Choices): Sud
- Ristorante Tosca (Tuscan Cuisine à la carte): Tosca chef Giulio Capotondo
- Il Bar Caffetteria (Coffee break): Caffè Italiano e Flò
- La Birreria (Beer): Birra Moretti
- Eataly (Italian Products & Kitchenware/Tools)
- La Scuola di Cucina (Cooking School): CUCINA Lorenzo de’Medici
- L’Enoscuola (Secrets of Wine Tasting): Luca Gardini
- Le Consegne Ecologiche (Shipping Services in town, in Italy & Abroad): Simone Bastiani – Green Speedy – Speedy Florence
- La Libreria (Bookstore): Giunti al Punto
- La Banca (Bank): Banca di Credito Cooperativo di Signa
- Fiorentina Store (Fiorentina Soccer Store): ACF Fiorentina
Il Mercato Centrale: In Addition to the Shops
Il Mercato Centrale: Services
Hours of Operation
Downstairs the current butcher shops, fruit & veggie vendors and the other operators will continue to work the traditional market (open from Monday to Saturday – 7:00a to 14:00pm).
The Florence Central Market upstairs will be open every day of the year except Christmas and New Year’s Day, seven days a week from 10:00am to midnight. Yes, midnight! So if you have a midnight craving for some gelato or pizza, get yourself to San Lorenzo and check out the mercato centrale.
Thoughts from Nardella
He ushered in the new first floor of the central market exclaiming his joy and giving thanks for this successful renovation. “We said four years ago,” said Dario Nardella, the deputy mayor of Florence, “this would be the city’s covered square, today it is a reality. A reality that was realized thanks to the quality of the food and the new work opportunities. A space given back to the city for culture, leisure, quality of life.”
My Favorite Things
Curry pastries were different and delicious from Il Pane e La Pasticceria. The vellutata dei radici (warm silky sauce) made with potatoes, beets and carrots with some edible flower petals. Divine! Not to mention their green smoothie made from spinach, apple, orange and carrot – healthy & tasty.
Non-food related, I thought a brilliant addition to the mix of services was the International shipping by Green Speedy. Imagine, you buy a bunch of stuff and don’t want to lug it around on your journey (let’s say 6 bottles of Chianti wine), there is this great eco-friendly delivery service run right there. Hand them your items and ship them anywhere in the world. Two thumbs up everyone!
Public Opening Day
There are still some renovations to finish up, but the expected inauguration of the first floor of the new mercato centrale will open it’s doors to the public on April 24th. Are you excited?
Mercato Centrale Florence
Mercato Centrale Florence proposes a perfect spot where you can buy food and enjoy it on the spot, with 500 seats to choose from and free wifi to entice you to stick around. Mark your calendars and go check it out!
What are you looking forward to tasting or trying out? If you go, leave me a message and let me know what you think.
San Lorenzo – Central Market
Piazza del Mercato Centrale
Downstairs: Monday to Saturday – 7:00a to 2:00pm
Primo Piano (first floor): Everyday – 10:00a to midnight