Created a simple and tangy barbecue chicken recipe with ingredients I had around the house. Try it out and let me know your thoughts!
Secret Ingredient= Cornflakes
I like using crushed up cornflakes (or panko) instead of regular breadcrumbs in chicken recipes. It gives it a really nice crunch and I think it adds to the overall flavor.
- 6 chicken drumsticks ( fusi di pollo )
- 1 cup cornflakes
- Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- De-skin chicken drumsticks* and soak in warm salt water bath.
- Crunch up the cornflakes and set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat on low in a medium saucepan the ketchup, mirin, sugar and both vinegars. Stir frequently. Once the mixture is smooth, turn off heat. Set aside 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (350°F) and line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rinse the chicken and place in a large bowl. Toss the drumsticks with half the barbecue sauce mixture and dip each one into the cornflake crumbs; coat all sides.
- Place on baking sheet and drizzle the remaining sauce over each drumstick.
- Bake chicken until opaque throughout, 40-45 minutes, rotating sheets.
* Tip from my aunt: easy way to skin these slippery drumsticks is to take a paper towel and use it to pull off the skin. It will make your job a lot easier, try it!